Business Laureates of British Columbia Unveils Its New Hall of Fame
Photo: The Honourable Christy Clark, Premier of British Columbia, with BLBC Laureates, JA students, BLBC Co-Chairs Barbara Brink and Jim Shepard, and JABC President & CEO Jan Bell-Irving
Vancouver, British Columbia – September 18, 2015 – Over 120 BC business leaders, Junior Achievement (JA) students and guests gathered at the Vancouver Convention Centre West on Thursday September 17th for the unveiling of the new Business Laureates of British Columbia (BLBC) Hall of Fame.
The BLBC Hall of Fame was created by JA British Columbia (JABC) in 2005 to honour the outstanding BC business leaders whose efforts have shaped our province and country. In recognition of the 10th anniversary of the Hall of Fame and its 60 Laureate members, a new site has been built at the Vancouver Convention Centre West. The new site, designed by BC-based artists Cheryl Hamilton and Michael Vandermeer, features a towering glass BC Business Laureates “Wall of Fame,” an information kiosk honouring its members, and a specially commissioned sculpture “Shape of Inspiration.”
According to Jim Shepard, BLBC Co-Chair, locating the new site for the BLBC Hall of Fame in the iconic Vancouver Convention Centre West building was important to increase awareness of the legacies the Laureates have shared with the province. “We are simply delighted to bring recognition to these unique individuals in a space so significant to the business community in BC and the world.”
“This is a wonderful day and it’s been a long time coming. Years ago we realized the great importance of having a place where all British Columbians could come and take pride in the individuals whose exceptional accomplishments helped build this province,” says BLBC Co-Chair Barbara Brink.
After a brief reception, the evening featured remarks from BLBC Co-Chairs Jim Shepard and Barbara Brink, Jan Bell-Irving, JABC President and CEO, Jefferson Mooney, Chairman, A&W Food Services of Canada Inc. and BLBC Laureate, and the Honourable Christy Clark, Premier of BC, who also helped unveil the curtains revealing the Laureate “Wall of Fame” and “Shape of Inspiration” sculpture.
Left Photo: The new BLBC Hall of Fame, featuring the Laureate “Wall of Fame” and “Shape of Inspiration” sculpture
JABC students were in attendance and also played an important role in the conception of the Hall of Fame, according to JABC President and CEO, Jan Bell-Irving. “This project truly serves as an inspiration to our BC youth and gives us an important perspective on how business leaders in BC help build our province and communities. We are proud to celebrate these dynamic and very worthy individuals with our students, the future leaders of BC.”
About the Business Laureates of British Columbia Hall of Fame
The Business Laureates of British Columbia (BLBC) Hall of Fame was created by Junior Achievement of British Columbia (JABC) in 2005 to honour the outstanding BC business leaders whose efforts have shaped our province and country. The Hall of Fame stands as a testament to the positive legacy the Laureates provide to the youth of British Columbia. Laureates have demonstrated a level of Vision, Leadership, Integrity and Legacy unique among their peers. Visit www.businesslaureatesbc.org for more information.
For more information, please contact:
Marketing & Communications Manager
Junior Achievement of British Columbia
604.688.3887, x. 231
Donors to the new Business Laureates of British Columbia Hall of Fame site:
Dave Ritchie / RBA
Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
Michael J. Audain
Peter & Joanne Brown Foundation
Teck Resources Limited
Boston Pizza International Inc.
Brian A. Canfield
Concert Properties Ltd.
James F. Shepard
John C. Kerr Family Foundation
Kelly and Sylvia Heed
Kingswood Capital Corp.
Peter J. Blake
Peter R.B. Armstrong
Robert H. Lee and Family
Robert J. Macdonald and Family
Russ and Ellen Cmolik
Taseko’s Gibraltar Mine
Terry Lyons and Family
Trinity Pacific Foundation
All members of the Business Laureates of British Columbia Hall of Fame:
- Michael Audain, O.C., O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon)
- Nathaniel (Nat) Ryal Bailey
- Irving (Ike) Barber, O.C., O.B.C.
- Henry Ogle Bell-Irving
- Charles Bentall
- L.L.G. (Poldi) Bentley
- Peter Bentley, O.C., O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon)
- David Black, LL.D. (Hon)
- Dick Bradshaw
- Peter M. Brown, O.B.C., C.B.H.F., LL.D. (Hon)
- Jennie Butchart
- Alex A. Campbell, O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon)
- Brian A. Canfield, C.M., O.B.C., D.Tech. (Hon)
- Hon. John V. Clyne, C.C.
- Jack Diamond, C.C., O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon)
- William Farrell
- Earl B. Finning
- Thomas James Foord, O.B.C.
- Frank A. Griffiths, F.C.A.
- Bob Hager
- Chester A. Johnson, C.M., O.B.C., B.Comm, F.C.A.
- Lucille Johnstone, C.M., O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon), C.G.A.
- Dr. Norman B. Keevil, O.C., Ph.D., F.G.S.A.
- Dr. Norman B. Keevil, O.C., O.B.C., Ph.D., C.B.H.F., LL.D. (Hon.), P.Eng.
- Henry Holman (Hank) Ketcham III, O.B.C.
- Henry Holman (Pete) Ketcham Jr.
- Samuel Kendall (Sam) Ketcham
- William Peters (Bill) Ketcham
- Hassan Khosrowshahi, O.B.C.
- Leon J. Koerner, LL.D. (Hon)
- Dave Lede, B.Comm., LL.D. (Hon)
- Robert (Bob) H. Lee, C.M., O.B.C., B.Comm., LL.D. (Hon)
- Brandt C. Louie, O.B.C., C.B.H.F., LL.D. (Hon), F.C.A., C.A., C.P.A.
- Hok Yat Louie
- Tong Louie, C.M., O.B.C., B.S.A., LL.D. (Hon)
- John S. MacDonald, O.C. Ph.D., F.C.A.E., P.Eng.
- H.R. MacMillan, C.C.
- G. W. Grant McConachie
- Wendy B. McDonald, C.M., O.B.C., LL.D. (Hon), D.Tech.
- George C. Melville, CPA, F.C.A., LL.D. (Hon)
- William M. Mercer, B.Comm.
- Jefferson Mooney
- Dr. Rudy North, C.M., O.B.C., B.Comm., LL.D. (Hon)
- David Oppenheimer
- Jim Pattison, O.C., O.B.C., C.B.H.F.
- Art Phillips
- John (Jack) W. Poole, O.C., O.B.C., B.Sc.
- John Prentice
- Dave Ritchie
- Dr. Donald B. Rix, C.M., O.B.C., M.D., D.Sc.(Hon.), F.R.C.P.C., LL.D. (Hon)
- Benjamin Tingley Rogers
- Dick (Percy Ritchie) Sandwell
- William (Bill) L. Sauder, O.C., O.B.C., B.Comm., LL.D. (Hon)
- Joseph Segal, C.M., O.B.C., C.B.H.F., O.ST.J., LL.D. (Hon)
- Howard Allan Simons
- David W. Spencer
- Dr. Ken Spencer, Ph.D., LL.D. (Hon), MBA, B.A.Sc.
- W. James Treliving
- Milton K. Wong, C.M., O.B.C., LL.D (Hon)
- Charles Woodward
Categories: BLBC Hall of Fame