Students Pitch Green Business Ideas at JABC’s Innovation Jam, Hosted by Junior Achievement of British Columbia
On Monday, January 20th, 120 students from 20 schools across BC came together for a day of creative thinking and competition at Junior Achievement of British Columbia’s (JABC) first ever JABC Innovation Jam. The workshop and competition challenged and inspired grade 11 and 12 students to THINK BIG about creating the innovative businesses of tomorrow. This intense and exciting event had student teams develop and pitch new, innovative business ideas with a focus on environmental sustainability. Presenting and Reception Sponsor for the event was the Chartered Professional Accountants of BC (CPA).
During a guided workshop, teams developed “pitches” for their new business ideas to present to panels of experts which included several members of Business in Vancouver’s Forty Under 40. From the 20 teams, four finalists were selected to move on to a final round of judging that will take place in the coming weeks.
A number of special guests and JABC supporters attended the Innovation Jam adding to the excitement for the students. Miyoung Lee of CBC News Vancouver MCed the opening reception held Sunday evening where students had a chance to meet and network before the competition. On competition day special guests including the Honourable Naomi Yamamoto, BC Minister of State for Small Business, addressed the young audience with words of wisdom and encouragement during the afternoon program.
This new event gives senior high-school students an opportunity see how innovation in business can have a positive impact on an industry and our environment. It also provides an exciting platform for students to develop networking skills, teamwork, creativity, critical thinking, presentation skills and a number of other skills key to success in business.
The Four Finalists chosen by our judges are:
- Parkland Secondary School from Victoria
- Kelowna Secondary from Kelowna
- St. George’s School from Vancouver
- Sa-Hali Secondary School from Kamloops
The winning team will be announced in May and given a spotlight at Junior Achievement’s Business Laureates of BC Hall of Fame Gala on May 22nd.
People’s Choice Award
All 20 teams’ pitches have been posted to YouTube where anyone can view and “Like” their favourite business idea. On February 28, the team with the most “Likes” will win the JABC Innovation Jam “People’s Choice Award.” Pitches may be viewed at JABC’s YouTube Channel, JuniorAchievementBC.
Participating School Teams
- Belmont Secondary, Victoria
- Britannia Secondary, Vancouver
- Burnaby North Secondary, Burnaby
- Correlieu Secondary, Quesnel
- Duchess Park Secondary, Prince George
- Kelowna Secondary, Kelowna
- Kwantlen Park Secondary, Surrey
- Lake City Secondary, Williams Lake
- Maaqtusiis Secondary School, Ahousaht
- Mount Douglas Secondary, Victoria
- Parkland Secondary, Victoria
- Prince of Wales Secondary, Vancouver
- Rockridge Secondary, West Vancouver
- Sa-Hali Secondary, Kamloops
- Spectrum Community School, Victoria
- St. George’s School, Vancouver
- St. John’s School, Vancouver
- Vernon Secondary, Vernon
- West Point Grey Academy, Vancouver
- West Vancouver Secondary, West Vancouver