Business of Our Own helps students identify the key success factors needed to turn personal and team performance into profit. Building on basic business concepts like the different types of organizations, the role of management, and production and marketing, students learn how to run a successful retail business of their own.
While participating in this program, students acquire and build upon their skills in: language and communication, numeracy and math, critical thinking, problem solving, creative thinking and decision-making.
From start to finish, students set up a retail sales stand, track profits and distribute the earnings. Students develop an awareness of their operation and the responsibilities of running a business in a free enterprise system. They also learn how to work with other people to achieve the same goals.
Key program outcomes
For the in-class program students will:
- Understand business goals
- Practice skills to run a business
- Develop and implement a business plan for their own retail business
- Identify the role of promotions
- Understand the role of financial record keeping
- Discuss product pricing
- Describe their experience in operating a business
- Draw conclusions about planning and running a business by analyzing their experience
Like other JA programs, Business of Our Own is curriculum-linked, student-centred and skills-focused.
Delivery of Business of Our Own in BC is generously supported by: