Check out our new video: Making a Budget
JA British Columbia and Coast Capital Savings have teamed up to put together an exciting new video to help teach teens about budgeting. Developed for the popular JA Dollars with Sense program, it’s full of great tips. Have a look!
(Simply click above to watch. If you prefer a downloaded file to view offline, please contact a member of our Program Team to request a copy.)
Bring JA Dollars with Sense into your classroom:
Dollars with Sense
Dollars with Sense provides students with personal money management skills and challenges them to apply these concepts in their own lives. This interactive program, facilitated by volunteers in collaboration with the classroom teacher, gives students the knowledge they need to financially manage changes in their career and life.
From the origins of trade to the pros and cons of investing, Dollars with Sense provides students with the knowledge and experience they need to make better economic decisions. Students play an exciting investment strategies game to learn about effective spending and how to avoid credit and debt pitfalls.
By the end of the program, students will know how to evaluate their financial decisions against their goals. This prepares them to make smart, lifelong financial choices.
- Develop a money management self-profile
- Choose appropriate forms of exchange
- Determine factors that influence their spending
- Identify steps in being a SMART consumer
- Calculate the cost of credit
- Develop awareness about consumer rights
- Identify needs, wants and financial goals
- Prepare a budget
- Differentiate services offered by financial institutions
- Demonstrate how to write a cheque
- Identify types of fraud and the protection needed
- Identify different ways to invest
Like other JA programs, Dollars with Sense is curriculum-linked, student-centred and skills-focused. This program is delivered by a qualified business volunteer in four 1-hour sessions, usually between 8:15am and 12:30pm, at no cost to schools or groups.
Delivery of Dollars with Sense in British Columbia is generously sponsored by:
Level: Grades 7-9
Instructional time: 4 hours