Educator-led Program. In JA’s Investment Strategies Program (ISP), students explore the ways in which people save and invest for their future. The program includes interactive lessons and culminates in an online stock market simulation. The program includes both interactive classroom lessons and an online stock market simulation, Stock Market Challenge, where students manage their own simulated stock portfolio. The simulation is linked to live data from North American stock markets and is an exciting, risk-free way for students to apply the investing principles they learn in the program.
ISP is available to British Columbia classrooms through our online portal. A classroom teacher facilitates ISP Virtual and is supported via online videos of ISP volunteers. ISP Virtual also includes all the resources needed for the Stock Market Challenge stock market simulation.
At the end of ISP, students will know how to research and select investments and manage an online stock portfolio. This prepares them to make savvy investment choices throughout their lives.
By participating in ISP, students will learn how to make smart investment choices. They will:
- Understand the pros and cons of different investments, such as RRSPs, exchange-traded funds and GICs
- Follow a Canadian stock for the duration of the program
- Create a mutual fund
- Learn how to buy low and sell high
- Act as a financial advisor to apply what they learn
- Build a portfolio for the online stock market simulation
- Learn about socially and ethically responsible investment
- Learn how to identify investment scams
- Test their knowledge by competing against other teams from across Canada
Like other JA programs, Investment Strategies Program is curriculum-linked, student-centred and skills-focused. In British Columbia, it is delivered in virtual format only by a qualified business volunteer in four one-hour in-class sessions, at no cost to schools or groups.
For more information or to access the ISP Portal, please visit here.
Capstone Experience: Students who have completed ISP are eligible for Stock Market Challenge, an online stock market simulation, linked to live data from North American stock markets, that engages students from across Canada to apply investing principles as they manage their own portfolio.
Delivery of Investment Strategies Program in BC is generously sponsored by: