Students are often taught that success means “getting a good job” after graduation. Many are not aware that launching a business is a viable career option that can bring them amazing opportunities.
Through JA’s Our Business World program, students in grades 5-6 learn about the opportunities and challenges of entrepreneurship in Canada. This inspires students to consider careers as business owners, as well as nurture those who already have entrepreneurial spirits.
Our Business World leaders make learning fun by using games and multimedia to boost students’ self-confidence and help them retain the lessons.
By the end of this program, students understand how a business operates and creates profit. This will inspire them to ask, “Do I have what it takes to become an entrepreneur?”
In this program, students:
- Learn why businesses are created and how they adapt to change
- Explore where customers come from and how to keep them
- Discuss how business contributes to the well-being of a community
- Recognize that businesses can impact the environment in both positive and negative ways
- Learn the history of some Canadian businesses and how they’ve changed over time
- Understand the importance of innovation
- Describe what makes an entrepreneur innovative
Like other JA programs, Our Business World is student-centred and skills-focused. This program consists of approximately four one-hour lessons.
Delivery of Our Business World in British Columbia is generously supported by: